Kitchen fire in the snack bar closes community pool in Towson
At 10:41 AM, Baltimore County 911 Emergency Communications Technicians received a call reporting a fire in the snack bar at the Campus Cabana Swim Club in the 600 block of Southwick Drive, Towson. A one alarm assignment was dispatched which brought units from the Baltimore County Fire Department’s Towson, Providence VFC and Hillendale stations.
The first fire engine arrived within four minutes and reported smoke coming from the snack bar at the swim club. Firefighters found fire at and around the stove and quickly doused the flames. Additional firefighters checked the ventilation ductwork to ensure that the fire did not spread. The fire was brought under control within minutes. The Baltimore County Health Department was called to inspect the building, as is customary with any incident involving food preparation facilities. No injuries were reported. The fire originated at the stove and was caused due to inadequate cleaning and grease build up. Damage is estimated at $5,000.
Due to the fire, the pool will be closed for the rest of the day at a minimum. Pool members should monitor the Campus Cabana Swim Club’s Facebook page for updates.